Finilac is indicated for the treatment of false pregnancy in bitches and suppression of lactation in bitches and queens. Cabergoline, the active pharmaceutical ingredient in Finilac, is an ergoline derivative. It has dopaminergic activity which leads to inhibition of prolactin secretion by the anterior pituitary. The mechanism of action of cabergoline was studied in in vitro and in vivo models. The most important details are outlined below:
• Cabergoline inhibits prolactin secretion by the pituitary gland and inhibits all prolactin dependent processes, such as lactation. Maximum inhibition is achieved after 4 to 8 hours and lasts several days depending on the administered dose.
• Cabergoline has no other effects on the endocrine system besides the inhibition of prolactin secretion.
• Cabergoline is a dopamine agonist in the central nervous system by selective interaction with the dopaminergic D2 receptors.
• Cabergoline has affinity for the noradrenergic receptors, however, this does not cause interference with the noradrenalin and serotonin metabolism.
• Cabergoline is an emetic, like the other ergoline derivatives (in potency comparable to bromocriptine and pergolide).
3 ml, 10 ml, 15 ml and 25 ml
Cabergoline 50 mcg/ml